Make 2019 Your BIG YEAR
1) Enter the competition with a $25 individual ($50/family) entrance fee. This is a 2-step process.
2) Identify which competition category you would like to participate in.
BIG YEAR CATEGORIES:
First-timers (Specify: Under 18, 19-40. 41-60, 61+)
Bird Enthusiasts Someone that enjoys birding and will probably do their best to populate their list throughout the year but will not make an effort to see every rarity that pops up. A good example: yesterday a report of a Yellow-headed Blackbird in RI was put out and a bird enthusiast would not have immediately jumped in his/her car to go try and find it...
Family Two or more members of the same family.
Hard-Core Birders Will try their best to see every bird (would have tried to find the YH Blackbird, but has limitations that will prevent full-time birding (family, job, etc). This is someone that birds religiously but may not have the time to chase every rare bird report, although will try.
Expert Believe it or not, there are individuals in this state that have completed a Big Year before. These people will devote their full time and attention to this competition. This may also include individuals that are retired and have the ability to spend a disproportionate amount of time birding. This is the category where individuals will attempt to record EVERY species that passes through this state within the next year.
3) Download Your BIG YEAR CHECKLIST HERE in one of these formats
4) Start recording your bird list on January 1, 2019. Be sure to follow the BIG YEAR IN A LITTLE STATE rules. Details of the listing rules can be found under the page "Competition Rules."
You can start BIG YEAR at any time in 2019.
5) The last date to log birds for your list is December 31, 2019 at 11:59PM.
6) Submit your completed BIG YEAR list by January 5, 2020 to:
Audubon BIG YEAR, 99 Pardon Joslin Road Exeter RI 02822
CELEBRATE YOUR BIG YEAR
Join us for a cocktail party and reception in mid-February (Exact date and time TBA). During the reception, videos and pictures will be shown highlighting the year and awards will be given to the winners in each of the BIG YEAR IN A LITTLE STATE categories. In the true style of the official BIG YEAR competition, the total number of participants, the identity of the participants and the results of the BIG YEAR IN A LITTLE STATE will be revealed ONLY at the reception*. Come to find out who you have been competing against all year long!
*A list of participants and winners will be published in a later mailing by the Audubon Society of Rhode Island.